Friday, June 13, 2014

Put a Little Pixie Dust in Your Run with Sparkle Skirts!


 One of the best parts of any runDisney event, are all the fun costumes and outfits participants create and wear.  This is especially true during the Princess Half Marathon where running skirts are the norm, with even a few gentlemen getting into the act!  But where to find a cute, comfortable, and practical running skirt that fits well on all types of ladies? Check out Sparkle Skirts!

Always cute in basic black at PHM Silver mile 5K


 Sparkle Skirts was born by Leah Powell when she "whipped up some sparkly skirts" for the Princess Half Marathon in 2008. Since then her fashionable and functional skirts have become a huge hit with runDisney enthusiasts. Sparkle Skirts is now a regular participant at runDisney Expos, and their popularity has expanded to non Disney events as well.


I am now the proud owner of 5 of these awesome little skirts and so far the only problem I have encountered is my inability to control my need to buy more!  First, let me say that I do not have a perfect figure, and I find that in a lot of clothes I am difficult to fit. I am also concerned with wanting some modesty, while not being too matronly.







My Sparkle Skirt with Poison Apple Embellishment


The beauty of Sparkle Skirts are that they are the perfect length, give great coverage and have storage!  They have these awesome built in running shorts, that DO NOT RIDE UP. Yup, they stay put! Even during my half marathon, my shorts stayed where I put them, no riding up, no chafing, just princess cuteness!

To make those nifty little shorts even better are the giant pockets on each side of the leg that hold a TON of stuff.  I have been able to fit a phone, keys, jelly beans, ID's even sunglasses in those side pockets, and I didn't even know the stuff was there while I was running!  There is also a zippered pocket on the front of the skirt, though Sparkle Skirts says you can wear it in the back if you prefer. It's another handy place to comfortably keep items during your run.

Sparkle Skirts has a very large selection of skirts in different styles and fabrics.  The most popular is the Sparkle Tech Swing Style, which is what I wear. But they also offer a "Slim-Cut", and a "Hiker-Chic" which is a longer length version with pockets on the skirt itself.  They also offer "Sparkle Light" without the built in shorts if you have shorts or pants you prefer to wear but still want a skirt over top.

If you are looking for some inspiration for your next runDisney costume, Sparkle Skirts is a great place to start, with Minnie, Princess and even Dalmatian and Villain inspired styles!  Not running a Disney race? Also available are fabric designs to fit a variety of events, even basic skirts so you can feel like a princess during your everyday training runs.  I have worn my Tiara Blue skirt to several small local races, and I always get a few comments and remarks on how cute the skirt is.

My Tiara Blue Skirt at South Bend's Sunburst 5K 2014

One thing that is very important to me, besides just a great product, is customer service. It's one of the reasons I love Disney as much as I do. It's important to understand that businesses are run by people, and people make mistakes. Mistakes are not something to get angry with someone about, but how they handle the mistake determines if I will continue to give my money to that business. I had a small snafu with my skirt order just before the Princess Half. It could have become a minor disaster, but not to fear, Sparkle Skirts came through with amazing customer service! My skirt was perfect and ready for me in time for my race! I was so pleased I even bought another skirt while at the Expo.  (always looking for a good excuse to buy another skirt, right?)

When you buy a Sparkle Skirt you are purchasing a product Made in the USA by a small business.  This is a great way to support our economy and an American business owner!  I have noticed once or twice a year, most recently on Mother's Day, that items bought that day received Free Shipping.  If you follow Sparkle Skirts on Facebook or Twitter you can get advance notice of these special deals. I also can recommend buying a skirt during the holidays. This past year Sparkle Skirts ran a "12 Days of Giving" where a portion of the proceeds from each of 12 days went to a different charity. I purchased a skirt on a day designated to support the Wounded Warrior Project.

So if your next race is coming and you are looking for a fun and comfortable way to dress up, check out the fine ladies (and one gentleman) at Sparkle Skirts!

 Disclaimer*  This review is entirely my own and unbiased. I was not asked to do this review by Sparkle Skirts, nor did I receive any compensation from them to do this piece. I just love their skirts and hope you will too!


No comments:

Post a Comment